Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday

I am having trouble posting. I think about text for posts to write much of my hands-busy / brain-free time, but to actually sit down to write them means stealing time from my kids, my partner or my sleep. I’ll keep doing the best I can, but that is why you all get so many pictures. To give you a more complete picture of much my blogging, imagine me sitting on the couch praying that the animals stay quiet while one baby sleeps with the other nursing happily and me typing on the computer, key by key, using the TV remote control as an extension so I don't disturb them. Hopefully this will allow you, gentle readers, to have compassion when you notice typos or bad capitalization.

Things are going great. Everyone is thriving, I am mostly enjoying the rhythym of my days, and I'm not pining for work. The fly in our ointment (this week) is that the babes just cannot get themselves on track – my track, that is, which is mainly that they sleep at the same time. Pequita, in the midst of her 55 week sleep regression, will only fall asleep on the boob or in the car. On the boob is tough, since Monito is in the midst of a growth spurt that is leaving me drained (in both senses) and I don't have much milk to spare. Pequita gets a couple nurses from me a day, and I supplement with Homestead Mama's frozen stash. Umm, that is my frozen ice cream stash next to the breast milk. Calcium, you know? Monito gets to eat all he wants from me, and if I'm to be able to nurse him through the night I still have to supplement with 6 oz of frozen stash I was lucky enough to be able to set aside in the early weeks. Yay, overproduction.Pequita is shifting from three to two naps a day, and after a few miserable days of power struggle (with a ONE year old, folks. Duh.) when I tried to get her to go to sleep in her pa.ck & pl.ay, I decided that AFTER the regression would be a better time to learn new tricks and have ritualized a marvelous park'n'sleep system. If the gods are smiling and I time it right, we drive the 20 minutes to our current favorite park and she sleeps on the ride and in the parking lot for 90 minutes, we play hard for 3 hours with a nice long snack time, and then she falls asleep on the ride home and will take a 2-hour nap *if* I leave her in the car in the driveway with NPR softly on the radio and the vent fan on low for white noise. Sadly, Monito awakens immediately upon the engine being turned off. I sit in the car and nurse and play with Monito and do crossword puzzles, nap, and catch up on phone calls. I used to fantasize about doing these things in a cafe while well dressed and bantering with friends about new literature and current events, but how different REALLY is the front seat of my parked car?


Whoops, time to go home...

No comments: