Friday, February 22, 2008

Loss

I'm going to try to make cookies tomorrow for a beloved friend who had a bad 7-week ultrasound today.  Since there is nothing anyone can do to make a dent in that kind of sorrow, I figured cookies are a good plan.  Even with two fantastically beautiful kids of our own, I still resent people who get pregnant (and get a live baby out of it) on their first try; I still envy people who don't have to suffer miscarriages and resort to IVF to get a live baby.  I pity people who get pregnant by accident, since no one should have to take this responsibility on without being as ready as they want to be.  But damn, damn, damn, I remember the pain of the losses so vividly that it takes no time at all to tear up when I hear someone else's bad news.

2 comments:

Alison Williams said...

You are a better woman than I. Two of the women in my childbirth class had unplanned pregnancies. Given these are "nice surprises," it does make me a little bitter.
Hugs to your friend, cookies are definitely a good plan.

Becca said...

I am so sorry for your friend. I can still remember that deep sadness vividly. Good luck to her in the future.

You are kind to make her cookies.