Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Downward Facing Dog (now with more grunting)

I am 25 weeks along and the size of my ute is definitely beginning to be an impediment. I had a burst of energy on Sunday morning, and since Pequita was willing to amuse herself in her neglectosaucer, her jumper and her bouncy seat for almost 4 hours (with short nursing breaks), Homestead Mama and I got a very thorough cleaning of the first floor of the Homestead done. I scrubbed the floors on my hands and knees, which felt OK at the time. I haven't done this for over a year, and you could tell. The floor now sparkles and the house smells great. However, I am now moving around the house, and particularly on and off the bed/couch, like I am 90 years old. I may have overtaxed myself unknowingly - I am not used to having to take it quite as easily as this. Seriously, I am so uncomfortable that I can't just stand up and walk, I have to grunt to a standing position and then wait until I get settled back in my skeleton.

In order to remedy this little problem of feeling like I've just had a double hip replacement, I decided that prenatal yoga was just the thing. I spent an hour this morning in a huge, drafty, fluorescent-lit room with 5 other pregnant women and a teeny tiny birdlike yoga instructor. It was great. I haven't taken yoga in a few years, and my body was more than willing to get back into the poses. It is all a little different than the last time because I fused my ankle into a 90 degree angle a couple years ago to eliminate arthritis. I need a few extra wedges & supports to keep in posture, but it felt wonderful. Now I'm all jazzed up and ready to go twice a week until I can't get up off the floor anymore. I'll just have to see if I can get out of bed tomorrow.

Namaste.

Gentle water aerobics class starts tomorrow morning at 7am. Wish me luck!

No comments: