Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Let It Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

We're ready for winter. We expect to get back to our usual winter activities, like snowshoeing and winter hikes now that no one is pregnant in our house. To get the kids ready, I went to our local baby consignment store for their coat & winter tent sale last Friday. I scored a Han.na Ander.sson snowsuit for Pequita that will fit this year with the cuffs rolled up and might even fit next year. I may hem up the limbs a few inches (neatly, so I can let it out again next year) if it gets annoying to have cuffs. I love it. I tried it on her to see about the fit and expected her to hate it, especially since we were trying it on in 80 degree weather. As soon as she heard her legs swish swish in the nylon, though, she took off happily swishing all around the house. I didn't know it had the reflective piping until I saw what the camera flash did to it. Bonus! I got the best thing I could for Monito, a sedate navy blue snowsuit, since they don't seem to make clothes in riotous color for boys. As soon as I have time to sew, I'll remedy his wardrobe. I have an embarrassingly large fabric collection for just this kind of problem.
Best of all? These snowsuits retail for around $80. We got ours for a lot less. This does my heart good. I also got some nice sporty clothes for Pequita. I find that dressing her in workout clothes makes even Homestead Mama interested in her wardrobe, if only a tiny bit. Some nice fleece shirts and lined nylon pants, all very warm. Monito has so many hand-me-downs that his four baskets of clothing storage are packed. Things get a little more sparse as sizes get bigger. This is either because kids are eating after 9 months and therefore staining & ruining their clothing more, or due to the crawling, which at least for Pequita has left her clothes much more worn.
Once my parents arrive for her first birthday (less than three weeks!) there will once again be plenty of clothes for Pequita. Grandma lives in a very nice area around Boston and the consignment stores there are full of high quality used clothes. I am not averse to new clothes, but much prefer getting more for less.

No comments: