Friday, September 21, 2007

It Is Official

I better learn the SAHM secret handshake, because I quit my job today, one month before I was due to return to work from maternity leave. I met with my manager and the department chair this morning and they took it very well. They both were a little surprised that I had been planning on returning after having two babies within eight months. It couldn't have gone better - when I am ready to return to the work force, my manager would like me to give him a chance to hire me back within the department if there's an opening at my level. It was gratifying, and the last hurdle for me to get over before relaxing into being a SAHM officially. Now, all I have to do is remain sane and enthusiastic while staying home investing my time and considerable efforts in raising happy, healthy, confident, smart and curious children. So far they make it easy. I'll let you know how I feel in a few months. I'm going to get on a couple of daycare facility waitlists (average wait time for infants is 9 - 12 months for an opening) just in case I hate staying home or my car blows up, the septic system needs to be replaced and the roof collapses all in the same month. Our finances should be fine, but certainly couldn't withstand multiple large calamities all at the same time.

Since I just QUIT MY JOB this morning (woo hoo!) Homestead Mama and I went out to our favorite romantic restaurant as a celebration, and also as a last hurrah before we start actually living like we only have one income. A table for two on the terrace in the Indian summer temperate evening air with lights in the trees and candles on the tables. A cute young waiter with a 9-month old daughter at home who was pleased to have a table avec enfant in his section. Scallops, squid, roasted beet salad, chocolate chipotle flourless torte and chocolate lava cake, and delicious wine with each course. We had a lovely time.

Hottie Friend made this treat of a dinner possible by pushing us to go out so she could get some baby time. She stayed home with Pequita, and they had a smashing evening by all reports. A friend kept her company, and they reveled in our daughters delightful company, or so I like to think, to the point where they didn't notice the squalor the house is (usually) in (these days). We love that. Monito came with us to dinner - I haven't been getting him acclimated to bottles because I haven't had to, and also because I don't feel ready to leave him with other people yet. He's still in the very-manageable-in-public-phase, and while he was awake for the whole dinner he wasn't crying, just admiring the twinkle lights in the trees and nursing both boobs dry. (Did I mention Mr. Off-The-Charts is in one doozy of a growth spurt?)

Maybe Hottie Friend's friend (possibly Outdoorsy Girl, but I'll have to get to know her more before a moniker will stick) will be able to do 'Girl Friday' help around the house for us - we lost the last person who was helping us manage to complete projects. I have started decluttering the house, but that has mostly consisted of me making piles in each and every room of the house of keep, give away, sell and toss items. I only can work in 12-minute stretches or so before one or both kids wakes/cries/needs me; at this rate it is taking forever. I can't stand it. I'm ready to burn down the house and start fresh with the insurance money. I suppose it will be easier if we can get someone to help us with childcare and project completion. We are hosting Christmas this year, so I've got three months to get all my ducks in a row. Plenty of time. The house will be clean and spacious and devoid of clutter by then, except for the baskets of baby toys in each room. Maybe if I'm brave enough I'll post before and after pictures. It will be embarrassing, but might be good for my humility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations! and what a lovely way to celebrate!

i am also planning to quit my job and try out the SAHM gig. i will have to go back to work for 6 weeks after maternity - that's just how it will work logistically, my partner will be home with the baby during that time. i really hope we can make it work because after all we went through to get pregnant, everything changed for me and i just can't do day care.

Alison Williams said...

CONGRATS! How exciting, well done you. Please do take before and after pics, you'll love looking back at them, and we will all enjoy seeing pics that remind us of our own homes.

I hope you don't get too many more night terror episodes :(. Terrifying for all involved, from what I hear.