Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Spring Comes to Upstate New York

First of all, Pequita busted out of her swaddle last night and flipped over onto her belly all by herself for the first time. A little unsettling - it was about 1:30 am and I happened to be up and on an ice cream run, and Homestead Mama woke from her light, hypervigilant sleep at the slight murmur Pequita uttered as she turned over. Time to stop swaddling, you ask? Lordy no! We don't get nearly the good sleeps when she is free to thrash around. Instead, I'll be buying some yardage of cotton gauze and making a couple swaddles that are bigger = harder to get out of (and cooler for the summer than flannel). Homestead Mama and I were of equal parts proud of her and horrified at the thought of her growing up.

Secondly, we are still a little concerned about her eyes - she is 6.5 months (today!) and they should have straightened out by now, but still are a little bit crossed. This isn't entirely uncommon, but we'll ask the doc when we see him at the end of May. (Unless we miss the appointment because I'm in labor. Hey, a girl can dream.) Pequita's eyes are slightly more worrisome than they might otherwise be because Homestead Mama's sister has a lazy eye. I have no idea if it is an inherited trait. I guess we'll see. Having had over 20 surgeries myself (mostly orthopedic), it is old hat for me to go under the knife. It is another thing entirely to imagine handing my kid over to a surgeon. Hear that? It is the sound of me getting WAY ahead of the situation. Breathe...

And now some photo love. It was warm enough on Sunday to let her fall asleep naked in the waning afternoon sun. We took almost 20 pictures of this from different angles. We are, as always, smitten. And thank goodness for digital cameras and the ability to delete.

3 comments:

Alison Williams said...

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse...my brother was born (severely) cross-eyed, and needed surgery. it never really worked, as when he wore a patch to get the lazy eye working, he started stuttering. i think my mum made the right choice in not forcing him to wear it. he really only uses one eye now. the only problem i am aware of is that one of his lady friends once asked ME which eye she should be staring lovingly into. ick.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I had a lazy eye and had surgery. I remember elements of it. None of them scary or anything. I remember being mad because the crib they put me in had a cage on top, for some reason. I was three at the time of the surgery, so I was probably as mad at the idea of being in a crib as it being covered with a cage. But I had a lazy eye and had the surgery, and well that was that.

Homestead Mom said...

Thanks to both of you. I suppose we'll just deal with whatever comes - like we have a choice. It wouldn't be the worst thing if it never changed, certainly. I just hope we'll be saved any decisions about it.