Tuesday, April 10, 2007

All sugared up and no place to go (but to sleep at my desk)

Weeks ago I scheduled a dentist appointment for this morning at 9am for a cleaning, and an OB appointment for tomorrow at 9am at which I would be given my first glucose test for gestational diabetes. I am not sleeping very well these days and am consequently a bit scatterbrained. So I dragged my tired butt out of bed, remembered (yay!) to grab my bottle of super-saturated glucose water disguised as 'orange soda' (blech) out fo the fridge, and on an empty stomach had it half consumed before realizing that the glucose test is WEDNESDAY, which of course, today is not. So after hosing the sugar off my tooth enamel & passing my dental checkup with flying colors, I am back at my desk with a sugar hangover. I am in a stupor, my system crashing as I write this since I have had nothing to eat except a handful of almonds. I may have to have lunch NOW at 10:30 to get some protein in me so I can make it through the day.

Burning question: do I tell the OB doc tomorrow that I need an additional half of a bottle of glucose juice to make the test accurate, or do I 'forget' to mention it and ace my glucose exam? I'll think about it. Regardless, having experienced the power of the glucose juice, I will be stopping for a fried egg sandwich immediately after to attempt to balance out my system.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments: