Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Land Was Made For You And Me

My heart is light today. My country is finally on a course that gives
me hope and makes me feel like our government can have a positive
effect on our own country and the rest of the world. It seems like
much of the world is excited right along with us.

I was raised with Pete Seeger, singing his songs, feeling his voice
wash over and through me at folk festivals, listening to my dad sing
us to sleep with his songs. Pete's messages and beliefs have informed
my politics, my lifestyle and the way I try to approach the world. He
hasn't sung in public in years because his voice has suffered in his
old age. Nonetheless, he came out and sang in front of millions of
people to lend his history, his hope and his soul felt words to
Obama's presidency. His presence moves me to tears. See for yourself:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KnYADCSms&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

And yet the day is bittersweet. Obama is another person who does not
believe that I should be able to marry the love of my life. Lesbians
and gays are among the people still waiting for equality.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: