Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Home Away From Home

We had a super time in Boston visiting with my parents. We spent a lot of time with my brother’s friend; his presence more than anything else brings my brother to life for me. I think because he also loved Jason, and misses him as much as we do. My mother, the Hostess of the Century, also put on a birthday party for my nephew who just turned two; the event was really more of a coming out party for the grandbabies, most of whom had not been formally introduced to my parent’s circle of old family friends. It was a good time seeing the people that I miss most from my home town, and getting to have so much company in my admiration of the babies.

We left Boston on Sunday afternoon, and for the past three days we’ve been in a nice hotel in Saratoga, NY. I have logged miles and miles in my shoes. Sadly, not the shoes that are modified to make walking easier for my fused ankle, but the nice comfy slip-ons that I wear around the house. I packed perfectly to clothe, entertain and feed two babies for six days, but forgot to pack shoes for myself. Duh. The kids and I have logged many an hour in the local coffee house charming (the kids, not me) the locals and students who are hanging out too. We have seen hundreds of pounds of coffee beans get roasted because the machine is next to our favorite couch and the woman roaster has a four year old at home and was really accommodating and playful with Pequita. Despite my long hair and what I thought was a benign, pretty much completely out-of-style wardrobe, I have set off the gaydar of the lesbians in town; no fewer than six in three short days have come over and started up a conversation which usually resulted in a discussion about donors, kids and either how to do it or how great it is. Goodness knows what I'm putting out there, but it has generated a nice sense of belonging in a new town.

We're leaving Saratoga today as soon as H-Mama's training is completed. It is a nice town for kids, and for walking. It reminds me a lot of Northampton. I have had full easy access to a children's museum (with a mock fire engine - see below), a park, many nice shops, and a main drag that is full of babies to meet and dogs to pet. We met a 200 lb Newfoundland dog - Pequita was about as tall as his elbow. He looked like a bear. Sweet, though. His owner whipped out a towel and swabbed off his muzzle when I asked if he was friendly, and the pooch proceeded to slurp Monito's face and Pequita's cookie. They were enchanted. I think Pequita was asking to ride it, but I can't be sure what her unusual hand gesture was. Saratoga also has one of the best stocked kid's stores I've seen, with the requisite train table in the back of which we made full use. If the fantastic children's section of the public library is any indication, the locals here pay pretty steep taxes. We spent hours playing with the $1500 worth of wooden animals (they sell them in the aforementioned children’s store and I estimated), the Lego table, the ride-on toys and the carpeted mini-amphitheater. And they had books, too. I’ll be happy to get home tonight. I miss our friends, dogs, house, and having more than one room in which to entertain the kids.



4 comments:

art-sweet said...

Why. Did. You. Not. Call? Hmph!

Homestead Mom said...

I can invent things to do for the babes all day long but would so much rather have had a PERSON who I know to hang out with. A thousand nice coffee roasting women don't make up for a meaningful conversation. I had no idea I was within reasonable distance. Have I mentioned enough in the blog that I am directionally impaired? Usually I over-study and compensate, but H-Mama did the Saratoga direction stuff, so I never looked at a map.
Damn damn damn. That last day, all 9 hours of it in the hotel room with the pouring rain outside? Would have been nice to visit. :(

Anonymous said...

I think you blipped a little. Pequita's name is out there now (3/4 throught the 2nd paragraph)...

Anyways, long time reader, not usually an editor. Hope you are home and getting back to normal now.

Homestead Mom said...

Whoops. Big blip! Thanks, Wendie.